Thursday, September 4, 2008

Garry Winogrand - Part 2




Reading John Szarkowski's quote about Garry Winogrand - that his ambition was "through photography to know life" - was a felicitous find as I just uncovered a disc of images that had been offered to me years ago. They were a large group of early pictures the photographer had taken of his first wife, Adrienne, and their children - Laura and Ethan. What struck me then and perhaps even more now is the way they combine Winogrand's distinctive off-kilter vision with the kind of snaps many parents take. Not all the pictures in the group were good, yet each of the ones I'm illustrating here seem to me remarkable. Loving but probing, gentle yet removed.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...