Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Oh Baby!




People often ask me for recommendations for a wedding photographer - which is way too much of a responsibility for me to take on – and so I always pass. When it comes to baby pictures, however, I have no hesitation in recommending Edward Mapplethorpe (yes, he is Robert’s younger brother) who has always been a talented photographer in his own right as well as having made largely unsung contributions to his brother’s work. Edward has tackled just about every subject – nudes, abstracts, conceptual work – but he’s been photographing children for close to 20 years. He insists on taking the pictures on or about the child’s first birthday. (He likes them sitting up.) And while he only shows the parents one or two frames from the shoot, as far as I know, he’s never had to show more.

What I like about his children is that they’re neither cutesy or little adults, but somewhere in-between. And if you get a crying picture, there’s always a smiling one to go with it.

You can contact Edward at edward@edwardmapplethorpe.com.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...